Thursday, October 13, 2011

A very long day!

Starting with early morning, my alarm went off...I think. Well it must have - and I must have turned it off. Maybe that was a dream. Maybe not! Because when I finally pried open my eyes to look at the clock expecting to see 5:45 a.m., I saw 6:39 a.m. Ouch! That's gonna hurt I thought. So I jump out of bed and rush to get ready....literally. As I'm brushing my teeth, my phone rings. It's Charlene and she doesn't sound very good. She's in a lot of pain and needs to go to the hospital. Worrying about her and her baby, I rush to her house. It is now 7:10 a.m. and we head to the hospital. They immediately take her to labor and delivery, where they begin to monitor the baby. The little guy's heartbeat is strong and he's moving a lot, but Charlene is having contractions. Since she is only 7 months, there is a concern as to what exactly is going on. After a few tests, diagnosis is a kidney stone. That's gotta suck to be 7 months pregnant and have to pass a kidney stone. So with a lot of worrying for her and the baby, the morning finally passes into the afternoon. Armed with pain meds and nausea meds, home we go. We stop at the drug store to drop off her prescriptions and head home. After she has settled in, I head to work - finally! I arrive at 2:00 p.m. and yes there is plenty to do.

Digging in I try to catch up on what should have been done this morning, not daring to even glance at the piles from yesterday and the day before. Work - there is so much of it! I think to myself...job security, right? My daughter-in-law calls to tell me that our sweet Juliet had her tongue clipped today and she squealed. Can't say I blame her. But she is doing well...and so is Elisha (her mom). I call my 2nd counselor and reschedule our young women presidency meeting. I decide to stay until about 6:30 p.m. to make up some lost time. As I am leaving the parking lot, my phone rings. Spencer - "Where are you?" I'm just leaving work I reply. I'll be home in about 1/2 hour. As I pull onto West Temple, my phone rings. Andrew - "Mom, where are you?" I'm just leaving work I reply. I'll be home in about 1/2 hour. As I head to I-215, my phone rings. Tricia (sounding upset) - "Mom, I looked everywhere for you and you're not here. I think you're lost. Daddy and Andrew are very worried about you." I'll be home in about 1/2 hour. Well, I guess it's good to be late once in awhile, so that you can find out how much you are needed and appreciated.

Almost home and I remember that I need to pick up Andrew's prescription. I run into the drug store and take care of that, at the cost of $80. Finally home! Then Andrew shows me his phone, which is damaged beyond recognition (don't ask). So off to Verizon we go for his early birthday present. After spending an hour at the store, and satisfied with his new purchase, we head home. But what do you do with a hungry 17 year old? So being as tired as I am, we take off in the direction of Wendy's, where we actually sit inside to eat. I find myself grateful for this because I am able to spend time with Andrew without interruption.

I am finally home and it's 10:00 p.m. Spencer and Tricia are playing their guitars and singing "Rainy Day People"...I love that song. Called to check on Charlene...she's all tucked in and her hubby is home to look after her. Now as I'm updating my blog and trying to type, Andrew and Tricia are taking turns talking, talking, talking. Something about marching band, bugs, favorite teachers, dorky boys, etc. etc. Time to end now and go to bed. Must remember to set my alarm.

1 comment:

Boy, Girl, Boy, Girl said...

And that's why you are such a great mom!!!! :)